Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Saint John, New Brunswick

Hi! Cara here. So, it turns out I actually have a lot of photos I like from Saint John, New Brunswick. Here is some of what I took during my four-hour excursion around the must-see sights of the area--toddler-free--just myself, my camera and roughly ten other individuals with digital SLRs accompanied by a local professional photographer (whose name I unfortunately did not write down at the time).

Located on the north shore of the beautiful Bay of Fundy, Saint John is famous amongst other things for the Moosehead Brewery, the Reversing Falls, its lobster, and being Canada's first city. Here is some of what I saw:

An ad for Moosehead brewery, founded in 1867 by a woman! This is just off the pier; you can see the reflection of our cruiseship in the bus window. This is near King St., the steepest street in Canada.





The Bay of Fundy experiences the highest tidal rise and fall in the world; in high tide when the Bay waters get funnelled into the St. John River rapids, it causes the water to flow in reverse. One of the main attractions in Saint John is the Reversing Falls where you can witness this. It was quite lovely, but I wasn't prepared for the unabashed presence of grey, smoke-spewing industry so close to this natural wonder. This is taken from the lookout point at the Reversing Falls; the natural wonder ends up being how the birds can breathe flying through the smokestacks of the Irving paper and pulp mill. 








This little guy didn't seem to mind the crowds.
New Brunswick is sparsely populated and 80 percent of it is woodland. I was blown away by how much space and untouched natural beauty is there. However, photographically, I was most looking forward to the "working wharf" segment of the excursion because I was imagining grizzled, sea-worn men, word-shy and labouring in the grey mist with their lobster traps. As it turns out, the wharf was a tranquil and almost deserted place visited by a few kayakers. There was mainly inanimate evidence that the fishing industry is still strong here, so I got a lot of photos of fishing apparatus. It was a ghostly but sensory experience, with the smell of sea air and wet sand, the lapping of slow waves, and the chilly wind in my face.























The only sign it was literally a "working wharf," and they seemed like a cheerful bunch.





That's it for now. I hope you all have a wonderful week. There are a lot of exciting things brewing for Field Day in the next month! Stay tuned for updates and more travel journal posts!



No comments:

Post a Comment