Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Summer Vacations

Happy Wednesday!

Has there ever been anything more magical than a summer vacation? When I was young those magical months were filled with sunshine and road trips. They were the months to eat ice cream and sit on the deck until the sun went down at 10pm. Living in Mexico can sometimes be like a permanent summer vacation, with all the sunshine and beaches a girl could ask for. But there is still nothing more enjoyable than a little summer getaway! This month I was super lucky to travel to Toronto to visit with my aunt and catch up with some old friends, and you know what? It was just like those summer vacations as a kid.


I arrived in Toronto smack dab in the middle of Pride, which if you're from Toronto, you know is a huge deal. But I am not from Toronto, so I had no idea how amazing it was. Over a million people come to the city to celebrate. There are parades and parties and whole blocks are shut down for the week. What a blast!






Why are you looking at a bowl of soup you may wonder? Well here is the thing, I love this soup. This soup is what sustained me in university and it is manna from heaven as far as I am concerned. Barbecue Pork Wonton Noodle Soup. Yum. Try as I might I have found it impossible to find all the ingredients to make this soup here in Mexico and even if I could I am not sure I could do it justice. I could have eaten this everyday for the entirety of my trip.


My good friend James sampling the delightful soup.
 Yup it is that good.

Toronto skyline



This trip I explored Center Island. I was intrigued after watching Sarah Polley's latest film Take this Waltz. I love any trip that involves a ferry ride especially one that affords views like this one.

The Islands have a amusement park straight out of a story book.
As well as a small farm with brand new piglets. Seriously how cute are they?
You can rent bikes to explore the island and that is exactly what I did. It was an incredible day and in typical Canadian fashion the weather was different from one hour to the next. There is just over an hour between the two photos below, but a completely different look.





The whole time I was on the Islands I was thinking what a beautiful place it would be to shoot a wedding. Any brides out there that feel the same way? This bench is so great ... it makes you feel like you are entering a wonderland. I wish I had one of these for my garden.
This is one of my aunt's sculptures in Toronto. It is titled Nautilius and can be found on Bay St.


 Before I left the house my aunt mentioned that I should look out for one of her pieces on my way back from the ferry. If you live in Toronto or are visiting any time soon you can see more of her public works here and here and here.

I have a few more pictures of summer vacation to share with you tomorrow but until then have a fabulous day!

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment